This is a great article for Valentines day. Thank you Imran Anwar for reading our minds!
8 Just in Time Valentine’s Day Publicity Ideas for Small Business
by Imran Anwar
Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and you may be thinking of ways to squeeze out some extra sales. You can use the world’s 2nd popular gift-giving festival to gain publicity mileage and sell more stuff. Here are a few last minutes Valentine’s Day publicity ideas to help you out:
1. Play on Red: Design a red and white theme for your outlet or website. Think of creative ways to relate red color to your business. You can discount all red items till Feb 14 or keep a surprise discount for walk in customers who are carrying or wearing red things (cellphone, handbag, shoes etc).
2. Do Target Marketing: Plan different shopping packages for ‘him’ and ‘her’. If you are selling cosmetics, this may be your time to target males and give them incentives for buying gifts for their girlfriends or wives.
3. Play on Love: Don’t keep your Valentine’s Day publicity limited to sexual love. Include love for nature, animals, parents, friends and kids when you are storming for your ideas. Plan a special ‘We Love You’ sale.
4. Do Co-promotion: Alright, so your business has nothing to do with Valentine’s Day? Find a business that has and run a co-promotion. If you are selling auto parts, include a cake or flowers or discount voucher from your partnering retailer.
5. Offer Couple Discounts: If a loving couple buys gifts for him and her together, offer them some discount or incentive. Offer complimentary glasses of Champaign to couples who have dinner at your restaurant or plan discounts if someone buys ladies and gents gifts together.
6. Hold a Photo Contest: Ask couples to upload their photos and share them with you. Announce a prize for the winning couple. Add the best images to a special Valentine’s Day board on your Pinterest account. Tip: Hold a Vine video contest.
7. Reward a Story: Ask people to write real life stories about love and announce a reward for the winning story. Publish the top stories on your website and share them on you social media.
8. Offer Something Different: Many people are tired of receiving chocolates, hearts and teddy bears as Valentine’s Day gifts. Think of something new. How about bungee jumping for daring couples or a gaming competition for geek couples?
The money you lose by offering a small discount or surprise gift travels a long way in the form of word-of-mouth publicity. Storm some ideas and come up with something really interesting. Communicate your offer on social media, your website and your outlet. Write down a press release about your plans and send it to a few journalists.
View article here